Thursday, October 18, 2007

Advertisers go stealth

I live by my DVR. If it’s not recorded, I don’t watch it. I don’t have time. And who would with a full time job, a 3 year old and a cat with more health issues than my 99 year old grandmother? One gets used to zipping through the commercials at lightning speed. Sure I make them, but even I don’t want them interrupting my Thursday night Survivor hour. That’s the beauty of the DVR. TV commercials are a thing of the past – the tribe has spoken.

But seriously, did you think advertisers would give up that easily?! In what is called “stealth advertising” Jerry Seinfeld promotes his latest project “Bee Movie” through his guest appearance on 30 Rock. Then, in an effort to halt the DVR speed throughs of commercial breaks, they’ve placed short stand up skits of Seinfeld in the middle of the advertising blocks to get you stop and watch. Sneaky, but brilliant…not to mention all the free PR…

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN0243829420071003?sp=true

1 comment:

Garret Ohm said...

See, now that wasn't so painful now was it?

I wrote about this ages ago, and have really enjoyed watching product placement become even more well integrated into the mainstream. You kind of have to be, or else people will think you're intending to deceive...

Oh, if you want to see more great examples of product placement, go to:

http://www.brandchannel.com/brandcameo_films.asp

Garret